“Never Before has a Generation so Diligently recorded themselves Accomplishing so Little”
There are almost 60+ social networking sites ruling the roost in 2017, the top of the assembly line being facebook and some country-specific ones that go by the name of QQ, QZone, Vkontakte (pronounced V-Kon-tak-te) and others with 100+ million users and growing by the day.
Social media was created with the intent to connect lost lovers, school friends, necessary relatives and the occassional tom, dick and harry. It has come a long way since Six Degrees (the first social site) was introduced in 1997.
Now, we use social media to not only share pictures of beautiful sunsets and over expensive dinners but also our political, religious and not required opinions on day-to-day matters.
Time spent socializing has grown considerably over the past few years, from mere minutes to solid hours and currently the human race is in a state where people are dying due to an over dose and abuse of social activity.
Analysts have put the average time spent on social media across various social channels such as facebook, Instagram, twitter, Snapchat and YouTube in the vicinity of 5-6 years across a normal lifetime.
With such a strong influence there are bound to be repercussions. Let’s look at some awesome mind numbing facts first:
- Facebook adds 500,000 new users every day; 6 new profiles every second
- There are 500 million Tweets sent each day. That’s 6,000 Tweets every second
- 300 hours of video are uploaded to Youtube every minute
- Over 80 million photos are uploaded each day on Instagram
- The average CEO has 930 LinkedIn connections
(facts source: Brand Watch)
Such a powerful tool has taken over the internet as a medium of news and communication. Social media is no longer a subset of the Internet but it is the Internet itself.
Still in two minds about the power it holds? Read about the True Power of Social Media here http://bit.ly/2k139PO
Research suggests the following negative impacts of too much digital interaction:
1. People tend to shy away from real life conversations and would prefer ‘Chat’ as the preferred mode of communication – digging a hole for themselves till a point of no return
2. It impacts your self-worth. People weigh themselves compared to their connections by the amount of ‘Likes/Engagement’ that their friends posts/pictures get and this makes them frustrated and also creates a sense of loneliness
3. Too many delicious food pics/videos alter your eating pattern as people feel hungry even after meals. Quite literally, a picture is now worth a 1000 calories … or more
4. The infamous selfie addict has no end in sight – read about ‘Danny Bowman‘ – whose addiction of 200 selfies per day almost drove him to suicide
5. To sum it up, you end up disconnecting with family and friends in the attempt to connect with strangers and not-so-friendly friends.
The above are just tip of the Iceberg and because of the concern and seriousness of the issue, governments have started setting up:
i. ‘Internet Addict’ Boot Camps (this is a global battle set up by governments to rescue NEXTGen from virtual hell) and doctors are prescribing …
ii. ‘Digital Fasting’ (a detoxification where you are unplugged from all connected devices – smartphones, laptops, tablets etc. for a specified amount of time) as remedies for people who are out of control.
Here are 3 suggestions to help you manage your life and not get swayed by the ‘Social Demon’:
1. Reserve a timeslot to check your social channels – say, early mornings or late afternoons
2. Book your evenings for ‘Real’ socializing – namely family and friends who you can touch and feel
3. Always remember if there is something important to be said then your loved ones will most definitely dial you up – please stop checking your phone every nano second now.
The human race was fine before social media and it will still be fine without social media.
No doubt, this is the ultimate channel when under control and can be used to positively change the global landscape with support from like minded people; be part of the team that is Socially Active and NOT Socially Deprived.
If you are a business or an entrepreneur then this is the place where you can let people know who you are and where you are. There is no marketing tool as powerful as Social Media in the time we live in.
Businesses have entraped this demon and made it their lucky angel with white wings. And this Angel provides:
- Priceless Customer Insight
- Promotion of Brand Loyalty
- Higher Conversion Rates
- Geo-Targetting of Valuable Content
- Much Needed Raltionship Building
What else does any commercial enterprise need?
So, before this Demon ends up destroying you or even worst, becomes the reason for you to be sent to boot camp, put it under lock and control.
“One’s greatest challenge is to control oneself”
~ Kazi Shams
Do share your thoughts on how the Social Demon has affected you and don’t forget to subscribe.
Till the next blog – stay safe and stay happy!